We Are In Charge of Our Own Learning-Come Follow Me For Primary-New Testament-Dec 31-January 6. This post will include: Lesson handouts and helps, including; Lesson printable’s to easily share and teach this lesson to your primary kids!
Primary Lesson: We Are In Charge of Our Own Learning
I am currently a CTR 7 teacher in my ward. Truth is this is my all time favorite calling!!! I have served in different capacities but this age group and primary win my heart!! If this is not your feelings as a primary teacher let me expound. The honest truth is I’ve taught this class before. And I didn’t totally love it like I do now. So what changed? I served in other areas and realized this is where I am most comfortable and now appreciate it on a whole different level because of the experiences I had. We each will struggle with different callings. This quote helps me during those times:
“The Lord through His servants calls us to serve in various callings, which we accept with total commitment. When a release has been extended and a call in a different assignment has been issued, we joyfully accept it, knowing, as our fore-bearers knew, that “in the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve but how” -Edward Dube October 2013 General Conference
Magnifying Your Primary Calling
Today I will be sharing the first of what I hope to countless, Primary Lesson Helps. I have felt very strongly that its not at all my duty to try and re-invent what is in the new Come Follow Me manual for 2019. I am simply just making it easier to apply the doctrine in your classrooms. I also hope that through simple printables I can help you prompt your own classes to engage and participate in the ways outlined in the manual.
To make this easy to follow I have have labeled each Idea as such Idea 1, 2,3 etc. These ideas once again are straight from your Come Follow Me Primary 2019 manual for the lesson “We are in Charge of Our Own Learning”. I have just made them fun and colorful prints to use and share with your kids! So lets start with the first one! I have not made prints for ever aspect of this lesson since some won’t be necessary. But I hope the ones I have shared will make it easier as you plan.
Primary Lesson Help #1 Jesus Wants me to Follow Him:
Read the Savior’s invitation, “Come, follow me,” found in Luke 18:22. Play a game where one child does an action and then tells the other children, “Come, follow me.” Invite the other children to repeat the action.
- Print the following 2 pages. The first will help you share the main idea of the lesson with your class the second will make it easy to share the scripture. You may just print the scripture location for a class capable of searching their own scriptures. For younger classes not yet of reading age you can display the full verse.
Primary Lesson Help #2 Jesus Wants me to follow him:
Help the children think of things they are doing to follow the Savior. Singing “Seek the Lord Early,” Children’s Songbook, 108, could give them some ideas. Let them draw pictures of themselves doing these things.
- For this idea you can print the first question prompt to ask your class. Allowing them some time to discuss the answer to this.
- Then you can play the primary song “Seek the Lord Early” and give each a printable handout they can keep with the song lyrics to help remind them to seek the Lord early.
- You can also print the third page and allow your class to draw pictures of themselves following the savior.
Primary Lesson Help #3 The scriptures are true:
Show the children some books containing fictional stories, and ask them about their favorite stories. Show them the scriptures, and testify that the scriptures contain the word of God for us and tell of people who really lived and events that really happened.
- Pose the following printable question to your class: What are you favorite stories?
- When you testify that the scriptures are true and are also stories of people in times of old you may also share your favorite New Testament bible story video to the class. You can find those in the link below:
Primary Lesson Help #4 The scriptures are true:
Share the messages found in 2 Timothy 3:15 and Moroni 10:3–5, helping the children to repeat a few phrases. Help them understand that they can know the scriptures are true for themselves.
- Simply print out these two Scripture verses so that your class can easily find them in their scriptures to then read aloud if age appropriate.
Primary Lesson Help #5 The scriptures are true:
Sing together “Seek the Lord Early” and “Search, Ponder, and Pray,” Children’s Songbook, 108–9, and help the children make up actions to go with the words. Share with the children one or two of your favorite scriptures, and tell them how you came to know the scriptures are true. If the children have favorite scriptures or scripture stories, invite them to share.
- Using the “Search Ponder and Pray +Seek the Lord Early” Lyric cards make up your own actions to the lyrics as a class.
- Prompt your class with the question: “what are your favorite scripture stories?”
Primary Lesson Help #6 Jesus Christ wants me to learn about Him and follow Him:
Invite the children to talk about a close friend they know and describe how this person became a friend. Read and discuss John 5:39 and John 14:15 to find ways we can feel close to Jesus. Ask the children to share times when they felt close to Him.
- Display the first question and let the kids in your class answer “How did you get to know your best friend?” then display the scritptures with the following question “How can we come to know Christ?”
- Once you have read the scritpures as them the last question ” When was a time you felt close to Christ?
Primary Lesson Help #7 I can study the scriptures for myself
Read aloud John 5:39 and Acts 17:10–11, and ask the children what they learn about how to study the scriptures.
Primary Lesson Help #8 I can study the scriptures for myself
Help the children make simple calendars that they can use to mark how often they read the scriptures. These calendars could remind them to read the scriptures every day.
- Below I have created a 365 day calendar for the kids to mark off when they read their scriptures every day! you may print and give one to each to take home
Primary Lesson Help #9 I need my own testimony
Discuss what we can do to strengthen our testimonies. For ideas, invite the children to search John 7:17 and Moroni 10:3–5. Invite them to share things they know are true.
Primary Lesson Help #10 I need my own testimony
Ask the children to help you label building blocks with phrases that describe things we do to build our testimonies, such as praying. Let the children build a structure representing a testimony using the blocks.
- There are a couple ways you can use the building block templates I am sharing below. you can do them as a class or let each member of your class fill them out individually. You can also opt to cut them out before you start the activity if you choose.
That completes the total amount of lessons helps I am sharing for this weeks Primary Lesson: We are Responsible for our won learning. The New Testament Come Follow Me Primary Manual. I hope that these lesson helps make it easy for you to teach your class with colorful visuals that allow your students to engage, search their scriptures, learn to study as a class and learn together!! Happy teaching!!!
If you would like to quickly download and print each of these lesson helps all in one fell swoop you can do so by clicking the link below! enjoy!
before you go don’t forget to pin the image below to save this idea for later!