Primary Lesson Helps-Matthew 1 and Luke 2-Come Follow Me New Testament.I have included multiple handout ideas, lesson games, and teaching prints to better help your class understand the teachings in these two chapters.
Primary Lesson Helps-Matthew 1 and Luke 2-Come Follow Me New Testament
Week one teaching primary was so much faster than I anticipated! 20 minuets go so quick!! So I’ve re-thought how I want to teach my class this week and I am also re-vamping my lesson helps too!
This week I won’t have quite as many lesson help ideas. But the ones I have chose I hope will help you fully teach the stories happing in Matthew chapter 1 and Luke chapter 2. I hope you enjoy the printable’s I have come up with and make your lesson planning simplified and fun!
Matthew 1;Luke 1
“Be it unto me according to Thy word”
Primary Lesson Help #1 Angels announced the brith of Jesus
Tell the story of angels appearing to Mary and Joseph, as recorded in these verses. (See also “Chapter 2: Mary and the Angel” and “Chapter 4: Joseph and the Angel,” New Testament Stories, 8–9, 12, or the corresponding videos on LDS.org.) You could show the picture in this week’s outlinein Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families. Invite the children to repeat the story back to you.
- For this segment I have a header page you can share to teach this idea.
- I also created a printable book that you can cut out and put together for each of your class’s members. I though this would serve as a great way to tell the story of the angle Gabriel appearing to Joseph and Mary. But it can also double as your handout. You might also encourage the kids to share the book with their families at home during their family study.
- Quick note: I made the final page multiple just so that as you print these for you class you don’t have to waste a whole page.
Primary Lesson help #2 Heavenly Father answers my prayers
In your own words, share the story from Luke 1:5–20, 57–63. You may want to repeat the story a few times. Assign children to play the parts of the angel, Zacharias, and Elisabeth and act out the story. Emphasize that Heavenly Father answered the prayers of Elisabeth and Zacharias, and share an experience in which Heavenly Father answered your prayer.
- For this primary lesson help I created a fun play narrative. You can select 3 members of your class to act out each part they include;
- The Angel Gabriel
- I hope that this hands on approach to teaching the story of Zacharias and Elisabeth will bring the story to life! But also make it a fun activity as you learn!
Primary Lesson Help #3 With God nothing is impossible
The births of Jesus and John the Baptist were only possible through the power of God. Learning about these miracles can strengthen the children’s faith that God has the power to work miracles in their lives.
Help the children memorize Luke 1:37. To do this, you could write the verse on the board and invite the children to recite it several times. After each time, erase one word.
- For this lesson help you can do it 1 of two ways. You can either display the scripture and talk about how Heavenly Father answers our prayers or you can play the memory game!
- Print out the block version and put them where you class can see to play the game! If you don’t have time to do this in your lesson you could send it home as a challenge and whoever learns it next week gets a prize!!
Primary Lesson Help #4 Jesus Christ is the Son of God
Ask the children to read Luke 1:30–35, looking for answers to these questions: “Who is Jesus’s mother?” and “Who is Jesus’s Father?” Help them understand that Jesus Christ is the only person whose physical father was Heavenly Father (see also 1 Nephi 11:18–21).
- I have a simple printable to display the scripture for this part of the lesson and a question prompt “who is Jesus Mother & Who is Jesus Father?”
- If you have time have your class go to 1 Nephi 11:18–21 give them highlighters and let them mark each of the different names of Christ in those verses. To better understand why he is the son of God
- mary Lesson Help #4 Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers
Primary Lesson Help #5 Heavenly Father hears and answers my prayers
Invite the children to draw a picture of a time when Heavenly Father answered a prayer—especially one of their own. Let them share their drawings with the class
- Once again I have the segment printable available to display as well as a decorative border coloring page. You might also encourage them to take those drawings home to share with their families.
That concludes all 14 printable’s I have for this weeks Primary Lesson Matthew 1; Luke 1. I hope that these tools and lesson ideas make it simpler to implement the Come Follow Me New Testament with your classes. As always each of these ideas is directly from the Come Follow Me manual. I have just created graphics and and brought some of these ideas to life making them fun games and ideas to easily share with your classes!
Enjoy! As always be sure to pin the graphic below to save this idea for later! and thanks so much for being here!!